Veneers are customized ceramic restorations that are used for both cosmetic and restorative purposes. They are thin pieces of porcelain bonded to the frontal surface of the teeth, which help to get rid of the imperfections such as cracks, chipping, discoloration, etc. They are quite simple, easy to fabricate and bond, and usually last for several years together.request an appointment
What are the advantages of veneers?
- Veneers are made from dental-grade ceramic, which is a highly durable and customizable material. Despite their thin structure, the restorations do not undergo significant wear.
- Their appearance can be customized as required to match the exact aesthetics of the natural teeth. This keeps the restorations under disguise, allowing you to talk or smile without feeling conscious.
- Since veneers are extremely thin, removing a very small layer of enamel from the teeth would suffice during the preparation phase. This helps to save the majority of the natural tissues of the tooth.
- The veneer would cover the surface of the tooth and prevent the cracks from growing wider. Also, in the case of chipped or misshapen teeth, their contour can be restored to enhance the appearance of the smile.
- Severely stained teeth may not respond to conventional teeth whitening. In such instances, veneers can be bonded to them to make them appear whiter.
How are veneers bonded?
When you arrive for the initial consultation, we will thoroughly diagnose your oral condition and determine whether or not we can use veneers to rectify it. X-rays and oral scans will be taken to determine the shape and size of the tooth requiring restoration. A thin layer of enamel will be buffed away from the tooth to accommodate the veneer, after which digital scans will be taken to create a digital impression/mold. It will be used as a reference for fabricating the veneer.
Meanwhile, the dentist would place a temporary veneer on the tooth to protect the prepared surface. The veneer will be fabricated at a dental laboratory within a few days, after which the dentist will schedule a second appointment for you. The temporary restoration will be removed, the teeth will be cleaned and etched, and the permanent veneer will be placed on it. If any changes in contour are required, we will make the modifications and permanently bond the veneer using dental adhesives. A bite test will be conducted, and the veneer may be polished to give it just the right luster.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (503) 581-2446 to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Giruc, and we will be happy to assist you further.