Dentistry has several procedures that are solely meant for enhancing the appearance of one’s smile, while some are meant for restoring the teeth to their ideal structure and functionality. But, some procedures offer both these aspects. Composite bonding and tooth-colored fillings are two such procedures that are used to restore the aesthetics and structure of misshapen, chipped, or decayed teeth.request an appointment
What is composite bonding?
As the name suggests, it is the process of bonding composite resinous material to the teeth surfaces to restore their structure, cover the exposed nerve endings, and bring them back to their ideal functionality. The dentist will diagnose the teeth and determine whether or not composite bonding can be used to rectify the condition. The teeth will be cleaned and etched, after which the prepared composite resin will be applied on the teeth, shaped accordingly, and hardened using a curing light. It may be polished to enhance its luster and appearance.
Dental White Fillings
White fillings are either made from dental-grade ceramic or composite resin. They are widely used to fill cavities and restore decayed teeth. Since they are made from tooth-colored material, they would stay indistinguishable from the adjoining teeth. The procedure for placing fillings is quite similar to that of composite bonding.
What are the advantages of bonding and fillings?
- The material used for the procedures is bio-compatible. It wouldn’t cause any toxic or adverse reactions with the natural tissues of the mouth.
- Earlier, metal fillings were used in place of white fillings. They could damage the teeth by causing cracks due to unequal expansion and contraction. But, white fillings do not pose any such risk.
- They are highly durable. Their rate of wear is quite similar to that of the natural enamel, due to which they remain as good as new for several years together.
- Placing a filling in the cavity keeps it from getting reinfected, as it offers excellent sealing properties.
- The restoration would feel absolutely natural in your mouth, both in terms of feel and aesthetics. You would be able to bite and chew food without any hassle.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (503) 581-2446 to consult with our dentist, Dr. Giruc, and we will be happy to assist you further.